Subscribe Now: Feed Icon

Home Home Home Home HomeHomeHomeHome Home Home
Tuesday, June 22, 2010
0 comments

Today we got up and went to the critter corner presentation at the visitor's center. The ranger talks about the animals we have in the park and I hung around and helped out while it was busy. My friend, Becky, and her granddaughter Amiyah went with us to the swimming area. We hung out around there in the shade while they swam. I have a sunburn from yesterday so I didn't feel like being in the sun today. We came back to the RV to get something to eat and they went home. My girls got right back on the river again and I picked them up down river a few hours later. We needed to get back and eat and get changed to go on the hay ride. I sell the reservations for the hay ride in the visitor's center every week but I hadn't been on it myself yet. I was saving that for when Hannah came to visit. They drive you up on the mountain on the hay ride where you get out and they have a presentation called the "Cowboy Serenade" My boss Linda is a cowboy poet and our own Ranger Frank here at the park plays the guitar and sings. They put on a really great program full of Texas history and pride about this great state. The girls really liked it too. I told them they could walk up the mountain on Thursday if they wanted to come again and not have to pay for the hay ride.



I've already enjoyed reading Linda's book "Somewhere in the West" of cowboy stories and poetry since I've been here. It's fully of stories of people like Mary Ann Goodnight who is responsible for saving the buffalo which is the last remaining buffalo today. I have been to Caprock Canyon State Park and remember seeing those buffalo. It's more interesting when you hear Linda's stories. She has moving poems and stories of indian raids and captures. Linda is a real life "cowgirl" who's family is steeped in the history of this area.
You can read some of her poems here
Folks' Linda Kirkpatrick www.cowboypoetry.com

What next?

You can also bookmark this post using your favorite bookmarking service:

Related Posts by Categories



0 comments: to “

Buttons to take if you'd like to link to my blog

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Blog Archive

Contact Info:

Contact Info:
summerysmile@yahoo.com

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP